Sunday, December 05, 2010

Metabolic Efficiency - Day 5 - Holiday Party #2

What a day! With the party on Saturday night I didn't get to bed until midnight. Slept until a little after 7am and thought I'd better get the day going. Today was Holiday Party #2 - latkes at my parents' house for Hanukkah, but I also needed to get groceries for the week.
After a breakfast of greek yogurt, cocoa, banana and fresh raspberries, I made my shopping list from a suggested meal list that Kelly Ping (RD with the UCCS Peak Nutrition Clinic) sent me earlier in the week.
a little variation on the morning meal - greek yogurt so no added whey
 I drove to the grocery store listening to Splendid Table. As I pulled in the parking lot, the host was suggesting a meal to a caller living in Germany and mentioned Mache salad (pronounced mosh). I had never heard of it, but what do you know, I saw some in the produce aisle so I bought some to try! really a small greens salad. Pretty good. Had it for lunch with this egg white frittata that Kelly sent me. Fabulous!
lunch - mache and egg white frittata with onions, diced tomatoes, shitake mushrooms, smoked salmon and black beans.
 This meal actually tided me over until dinner, which was latkes and some munchies with the family. In the meantime I went shopping to pick up some gifts and was pretty wiped out when I got home around 2. I needed a nap but there was too much to do (laundry, dishes...all that good household stuff that doesn't magically get done...unless you pay someone to do it for you!)

We got to my parents' house around 5pm. Just in time for some Weihnachts Bier from BierWerks in Woodland Park. But just half a glass for me.



these are some sort of fried veggie chips. zucchini, carrots, green beans, beets and some others. Really good!
 Here's the entire munchie spread. I ate plenty of carrots and celery. But a couple of those bowls were praline-style pecans. Had a few of those, too!

 Now for dinner - these are ricotta cheese pancakes topped with cranberry sauce. Very good, I actually ate three.
these didn't last long.
mom's potato pancakes (latkes) with apple sauce. I just had these two.
And as tempting as these are, I only had one!
rugelach - a cream cheese based dough with cinnamon, chopped walnuts,  raisins (or currants) and this year mini chocolate chips!
There were also oatmeal raisin/cranberry squares so I had to try one (and just one!) of them. So I probably noshed a bit, but I've been known to eat a lot more in the past! Mom's rugelach rocks! Here's the recipe. Again, I was satisfied, ate enough but not too much. Enjoyed some holiday treats in moderation. Saturday and Sunday dinner were my two deviation meals for week #1. The good part is that I'm not craving the sweets! I'll get put to the test again once again in a few days...the next holiday party is Friday night.

Happy Hanukkah!

1 comment:

Terry Odell said...

I forgot to put out the cheese and crackers! I'm turning into my mother. Better write down the menu for next time. And the house still smells like latkes.

Terry
Terry's Place
Romance with a Twist--of Mystery