Saturday, February 12, 2011

Winter Series Race #3 - Race Report and Recipe!

High five from Tim Bergsten of http://PikesPeakSports.us
Today was the Winter Series Race #3, also known as the wind tunnel. Or for me, a 10 mile aerobic run in the snow. Fortunately for me, the starting line was less than 2 miles from my house on a section of trail with which I am very familiar. It was a five-mile out and back course, which meant 5 miles uphill into the wind and snow, and five miles downhill with a bit of a tailwind but still in the snow. There was about a mile or so (each way) of cleared trail like the photo above. Otherwise it was running on several inches of packed snow in a narrow track. That took a toll on the legs keeping footing and balance!

Here's my HR and GPS data.

Shannon showed up to my house around 9:30 and we carpooled over to the trail head for the 10:15 start. I still had to register, but the Pikes Peak Road Runner volunteers are very efficient! The temps were around 40 degrees, and although the forecast was for sunny, the sky was a bit overcast. The wind was out of the northwest at about 10mph. Not too bad for this section of trail! The short course folks went off at 10:00, and us long course 10-miler crazies left on time at 10:15. North we went with several hundred running buddies. Shannon and I kept a 11:00ish minute pace on the uphill - very comfortable (sort of). Maintaining traction in the snowy track and the gradual uphill into the wind always makes it feel more challenging. I was glad to reach the turn around and head downhill.

I picked up the pace for the last mile as my legs felt pretty good, and I caught a lady that passed us around the 7.5 mile marker. Always fun to do! We didn't stay long after the race as I was hosting an informal potluck lunch.

Here's where the recipe comes in....I whipped up this delish Sweet Potato Egg casserole to share. Here's the recipe - hope you enjoy!
-----------------------------------------------

8 eggs
1 pint egg whites
1/2 c. plain soy milk
1/2 large white onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, diced (I used my garlic press)
1T of butter (but you can use your oil of choice)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and grated (yay for my cuisinart)
4 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped into small pieces
1 red pepper, diced

Preheat oven to 325 degrees (F).
Saute onion and garlic in the butter until the onion is soft, about 4 minutes or so. Set aside to cool.
Beat eggs, egg whites, and soy milk
Add in grated sweet potato, cooled onion/garlic, red pepper, and bacon and stir until combined.
Pour into greased 13x9" glass pan.
Bake for about 45-60 minutes (I didn't keep track of the exact time - just kept checking until the center was set and cooked through.)

Cut into pieces and top with salsa or cheese (or both!) 
-------------------------------------------------
Winter Series #4 is in two weeks... a hilly 20k.

1 comment:

Christi said...

Great job on the race!