Sunday, February 22, 2009

Weekend Report and Red Snapper

Weekend Report:
Here's the report for the week. I finally got over the sniffles I caught last week. There are quite a few colds going around, but I didn't get it too bad. Mainly head congestion - ick. I got most of my training in, but rule #1 before working out was to make sure I felt good enough to train.

Let's see -
Monday was a rest day except for yoga, which is always a very relaxing session. Took Tim to the airport (DC trip) early in the morning.
Tuesday was the first TNT track session. WINDY! Not super cold (30's-40's maybe), but gusts I'm sure 30+mph. The team ran a timed mile and then some 800m intervals. I was chilly so I ended up running the last couple intervals with them. Oh yeah - swam ~2000yds over lunch.
Wednesday - I did a trainer ride in the morning along with a Chris Carmichael video - it was the time trial video with some power intervals. I didn't take it as intense as I could have, since I'm still in my base phase, but it was still a really good session. Juno went to doggy day care today. She has such a blast out there at Preppy Pet Suites.
Thursday I ran a timed mile after work. Jogged over to the nearby middle school and then pushed out a 7:10 on their gravel track. Not as fast as last summer's 6:54, but I'll take it, especially at the end of a cold and no day off of training before hand. Another morning swim of about 1900 yards.
Friday - Another morning session on the trainer, this time a recovery session of 45 minutes. Got my new seatpost installed and fit over lunch. Now I will really be aero and fast!
Saturday - TNT group run in the morning. Was chilly - low of 15 but is was probably 20ish by the time we ran. The sky was blue and the sun shining so it made for a really beautiful morning to be out on the trail. We did 40 minutes easy. Later that afternoon I swam 2400 yards. Didn't really mean to swim that much, but it was a nice session. I'm pretty consistent about 2:00min/100yds with easy to moderate effort! That's the pace where I want to race at, so I am pleased with my progress. In the evening Tim and I went to a fantastic Mardi Gras party. I made bread pudding from the Commander's Palace cookbook. Delicious!
Sunday - Not as good a day as I planned. I think I ate too much at the party (who didn't!). I've been eating smaller meals for the last few months and have been eating pretty healthy, I think that rich food got to me. So I bailed on a bike ride with friends and hopped on the trainer instead. Much better to be home for GI issues that out on the road somewhere! I got an hour in watching Pirates of the Carribean. I've spent the rest of the day working on my business plans and making meals to freeze for lunches during the week.

Here is a non-breakfast banana recipe for the week!

Red Snapper With Pecan-Banana Butter (from bananas.com)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp. hot paprika
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
3 Tbs. peanut or canola oil
Four 6-oz. red snapper fillets (you can also use catfish or haddock)
4 Tbs. butter
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Pinch salt
1 large firm-ripe banana, diced
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
2 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro or parsley

Preparation:
Stir together the flour, paprika, thyme and salt on a large plate. Pour milk into a shallow bowl. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot, not smoking. Dip fish in milk, then flour mixture. Cook in hot oil, in batches if necessary, until browned on the bottom. Turn fillets and brown other side, about 4 minutes per side for 1-inch fillets. Remove to a platter and keep warm.
Drain cooking oil and wipe skillet with paper towels. Heat butter over medium heat and add pecans, nutmeg and salt. Cook, stirring, until pecans are lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add bananas and cook, stirring, about 1 minute or just until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and cilantro. Place fillets on warm plates, spoon some sauce over each and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 45 minutes

No comments: