Monday, February 04, 2008

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Here it is - the first of the weekly banana recipes! It is one of my favorite when the bananas get just a little too ripe (and yes, mom, they even get too ripe for my taste.)

Recipe modified from The Great American Favorite Brand Name Cookbook (c)1993 p. 373

Ingredients:
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 c. mashed ripe bananas (~3 bananas)
1/3 c. vegetable oil (I use canola oil)
1/4 c. milk
2 c. flour
1 c. sugar

2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
8-12 oz. chocolate chips*

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Stir eggs, banana, oil and milk until well blended. Add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir until just moistened. I use my kitchen aid mixer - love it! Stir in chocolate. Pour into greased 9x5" loaf pan. Pampered chef baking stone loaf pan is great! Bake for 55 minutes (I usually need about 60-65) or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cool on wire rack.
* Recipe really calls for 4 oz baking chocolate chopped into chunks and 1/2 c. nuts. I'm not much of a nut fan in my sweets (and this bread is more like cake) so I just throw in most of a bag of chocolate chips. Saves me chopping time as well.
I hope you enjoy! Check back next week for another great banana recipe.

Today's workout:
60 min on trainer:
20 minute warmup and spin ~100rpm with hr ~130
7x1 min "climbs" big gear, VO2 max-type effort with 2 min easy spin recoveries
9 minutes spin hr ~130
10 minute easy spin cool-down.

No comments: